My Doctor Recommended Prednisone for Carpal Tunnel, but I have reservations?
The Woodlands, Texas
Answer by Doctors at First Hand Medical
Your instincts are correct Jasman. It is wise to have reservations about using a powerful steroid treatment such as Prednisone for treatment of a chronic condition like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Prednisone, like steroid injections, can sometimes reduce your symptoms in the short-term, but in the long-run Prednisone or Corticosteroids can actually have side effects that can be much worse than Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. There are other alternative treatment options for Carpal Tunnel that offer a high success rate with no risks. That is where a person should start treating CTS.
There is no doubt that Prednisone is a powerful treatment option. But the side effects over the long-term are dangerous. It is the collective opinion of the Doctors at First Hand Medical, that Prednisone should not be relied upon for the treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Common side effects of long-term steroid treatment are well studied and well understood they can include the following:
- Increases in appetite, weight gain (bad for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and your overall health)
- Nervousness, restlessness, Anxiety (bad for any nerve condition)
- Irritability and Sudden unexplainable mood swings (bad for any nerve condition)
- Relationship with loved ones and friends often suffer creating more anxiety and unhappiness.
- Distance from Normal Social Circles (leads to isolation and psychological stress)
- Muscle weakness and loss of desire to exercise (leads to muscle atrophy with Carpal Tunnel)
- Declining Physical Fitness (bad for overall health)
- Blurred vision – Cataracts or glaucoma – (lowers quality of life)
- Increased growth of body hair (lowers self esteem)
- Lower Immunity to disease (increased risk of life threatening communicable diseases, swine flu, pneumonia, etc.)
- Lower resistance to infection
- Upset Stomach – Bloating in the Digestive System – lowers quality of life
- Swollen, “puffy” face or round face syndrome
- Acne and skin disorders (lowers self esteem)
- Heightens Incidence of Osteoporosis – weakening bones & joints – loss of mobility – makes it more difficult to exercise
- Aggravation of diabetes – deadly consequences
- Increased Blood Pressure Measurements – deadly consequences
- Sleep interruption – irregular sleep patterns – lowers quality of life score more than any other factor
- Difficulty getting sufficient REM sleep – leading to more anxiety and irritability – leading contributor to psychosis
- Water retention, swelling – worsen pressure on the Median Nerve in the Carpal Tunnel – makes CTS worse in long run.
- Easy Bruising and Skin Wounds
- Deterioration of important organs and body tissue with long-term use – examples with patients include loss of Esophagus, deep skin wounds with ordinary bumps and minimal contact with environment.
The potential complications with long-term use of Prednisone can create much bigger problems than dealing with the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Also, many of the potential complications of using Prednisone can make CTS worse in the long run. So, our advice, do not go there with Prednisone.
There are much better ways to manage the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
The Carpal Solution Nighttime Stretching Treatment has no risks, no downtime, no restrictions on movement and no complications. It is a natural stretching orthotic developed by Doctors that avoids the risks and complications of Prednisone, Corticosteroid Injections and Carpal Tunnel Release Surgical Procedures.